On how many computers can I use a PhraseExpress license?
Licensing depends on the installation variation:
- Stand-alone installation: If using PhraseExpress without using a SQL/PhraseExpress server, one license can be used by one person on up to three computers on which you use the same user name. On Windows, the "user name" is the "Windows user name" (this is not the Microsoft account name). On a Mac, the "user name" is the "Apple account name" (this is not the log in name). Each person requires a separate license. The actual user name that PhraseExpress uses for licensing is shown in the " " window.
- Portable mode: If running PhraseExpress from a USB stick, the license key is bound to the USB stick, which you can use on any number of computers.
- Client-/Server: If using PhraseExpress with a SQL/PhraseExpress Server, you need a separate license for each user connection to the server. The user can be identified by his or her user name or by the combination of user name and workgroup, or by the combination of user name, workgroup and computer name.
Licenses for Windows, macOS or iOS are separate purchases.
Can I have a discount?
Discounts are granted for volume purchases (see volume discount schedules linked in the shop section). The discount coupon feature in the shopping cart is used for returning customers and for custom orders though.
However, we kindly ask for your understanding that we are not able to grant discounts for individuals on request. We consider that being unfair to offer varying prices for all the customers paying the regular price. We rather try to meet different budgets by offering different product versions with different feature sets.
Additionally, we offer freeware versions for a selection of our products.
Thank you for your understanding.
Which product edition do I need?
The feature matrix on the shop page illustrates which feature is included in which edition. If you click a feature title, you get additional info about each feature.
The most important distinction between Standard Edition and Professional Edition is the maximum allowed number of computers and monitors. The Standard Edition allows only two computers where each computer must not have more than one single display.
Where can I retrieve my lost license key?
Our online shop is handled by the 3rd party eCommerce provider "MyCommerce/DigitalRiver" (formerly "ShareIt") who receives payment and sends the license key(s) for your online purchases. This company is your contract partner (we, Bartels Media, are the manufacturer but not the vendor).
You have received your license with the delivery email coming from "ShareIt/MyCommerce/DigitalRiver". Please browse your email inbox for any of these sender names.
If you cannot retrieve the delivery mail from your email inbox:
- Visit the MyCommerce Shopper Support webpage.
- Log into your account. If you don't know your login credentials you can request them on that page (We do not have them as we are not the vendor).
- Retrieve your purchase information.
How are displays counted?
This page illustrates, how displays are counted for ShareMouse:
This is a computer with one single display:
Note: The integrated laptop display counts as a display.
The Standard Edition is fine for two computers with one single display each.
- The Standard Edition is fine for two laptops without any additional display.
- The Standard Edition is fine for one laptop without any additional display plus one desktop with no more or less than one single connected display.
- The Standard Edition is fine for two desktop computers, where each desktop has no more or less than one single connected display.
This is a computer with two displays:
This is a laptop with one integrated display plus an additional monitor (aka "display") connected to that laptop.
- Above example doesn't show one but two displays because the internal display of the laptop is still also counted as a display.
- A display is counted, even if you do not look at it.
- A display is counted, even if you disable any displays while it is still detected by the operating system. You can review this in the Display Properties dialog of your computer.
- A display is counted, even if you "don't use it for ShareMouse". ShareMouse does not know if you really don't use it or if you just claim not using it.
- A display is counted, even if you never or rarely move the mouse to it.
- A display is counted, even if you plug it in for "just a short time".
- A Virtual Reality display device (such as Oculus Rift) counts as a display.
- An iPad used as a display for your computer ("sidecar") counts as a display.
- A display still counts as a display, even if we may use the alternative term "monitor" or "screen".
- A display is counted, even if you "don't know, why it is connected anyway".
- It also is counted, if it is connected to a computer but not used for that computer (e.g. if you have a monitor switch, that can switch a single monitor for use with multiple computers). If the operating system recognizes such display, ShareMouse also recognizes and counts it as a display. Again, this is also the case, even if you don't look at it or if you do not move the mouse to it.
This is a computer with three displays:
This example shows a laptop with one built-in display plus two connected external monitors.
The result is three monitors. Any computer involved with such configuration would require the Pro Edition as more than one display is connected. If you purchased the Standard Edition by accident recently, you can upgrade your license from Standard to Pro.
Is the license a subscription?
No, the software is no subscription but a single purchase with a one-time payment. There is not recurring payment.
Can I use licenses on Mac and Windows at the same time?
You can use a license key for either Windows or Mac but not at the same time.
The license can be moved from Windows to Mac (or vice versa) at any time.
Are licenses valid life-time?
Yes, licenses are valid life-time for all software versions which are released during your maintenance term.
Make sure to keep a local backup of your software installation file as we do not maintain a repository of older software versions.
Only maintenance (free updates, upgrades and new versions) expire after the end of the selected maintenance term, but you can continue to use your existing installation without expiration.
Is your software compatible with my configuration?
As we do not have any possible combination hardware and software combinations for testing, we kindly ask for your understanding, that we are not able to make a reliable compatibility statement about your individual setup.
That is why we offer free trial versions of our software, that enable you to try the software and test compatibility with your individual system configuration before making a purchase decision.
Our trial versions allow to test almost everything. Restart the program for another trial period. If you decide to purchase our software after your careful examination in your own environment, there is no additional installation required. You will receive a license key, which removes the occasional license reminders and turns your trial installation into a paid edition. You can continue to use any data created with the demo version.
Please note, that we do not entertain a refund policy. So, please take your time to test everything.
Does the software require an internet connection?
In regular use, our software does not need an internet connection.
An internet connection is used in following cases only:
- The license key registration requires an internet connection for just a few seconds. This is a one-time procedure. We offer an offline licensing option for large volume installations.
- Optional: Our software can occasionally check for updates and download updated versions.
- Optional: Our software PhraseExpress can use the external language translation service DeepL which requires an internet connection.
If you don't make use of any such feature, you can safely block our software in your firewall.
Under no circumstance does our software send any confidential and/or sensitive information to us or anywhere else. Our company resides in Germany, in a country with one of the strictest data privacy laws in the world.
Can I transfer a license to another user?
Yes, you can deregister your license key from one installation for use with another user name as often as you want.
You can also move the license from a Windows installation to a Mac installation (and vice versa).
How to renew maintenance?
What is maintenance?
Maintenance is much more than just updates.
It includes any update, upgrade and also major new version with new features we release within the maintenance term.
- Licenses do not expire and are valid life-time.
- Licenses are no subscription and there is no recurring payment.
- If a new version should be released just a few months after your purchase, you don't need to purchase an upgrade. Instead such upgrades are free for you and included in your maintenance at no extra cost.
- If you renew maintenance, you get additional discount.
Do you entertain a refund policy?
A money-back guarantee means, that you first have to pay, then you may find out, that the product does not meet your expectations and you would have to claim your money back.
We don't want your money first - We want your confidence first!
You can extensively try out our software free-of-charge before you need to make a purchase decision.
Our demo software which is available in the download allows you to test everything. We don't urge you to buy! Please test the software for suitability and compatibility with your individual system environment.
What happens if maintenance expires?
You can continue to use the version, that you were able to download within your purchased maintenance term for an unlimited time. You own a life-time license. The software itself does not expire. Make sure to secure your installer file for future installations as we do not host an installer archive.
However, you may then be using an unmaintained and out-of-date software without security bug fixes and updates to maintain compatibility with operating systems.
To stay up-to-date, renew the maintenance at discount.
You can also upgrade to a higher product edition, for example from the Standard Edition to the Professional Edition.
Is the PhraseExpress Server included?
Yes, we are happy to confirm, that the PhraseExpress Server and Client Manager is included in the purchase of client licenses. There is no extra cost.
What happens after the end of maintenance?
Your software installation will continue to work. However, your license key no longer works for security-critical security updates and we recommend to renew the maintenance. Returning customers get discount.
Is the online shop safe?
Yes, buying from the online store is safe.
Our online shop is operated by one of the world's largest online shop operators, Digital River, which operates shops for Samsung, Microsoft, Lenovo and many more.
The key symbol in the address bar of your browser during the purchase procedure makes sure that your personal data will be securely encrypted during tramsmission:
Is the SQL Server included?
PhraseExpress supports connections to a Microsoft SQL Server but the SQL Server itself is not included.
Microsoft offers a free SQL Server Express Edition which can be used with PhraseExpress.
Do you offer volume discounts?
Are future updates free?
Yes, you get free service packs, updates, upgrades and all major new versions during the selected mainentance term.
After maintenance expiration, your license does not expire and you can continue to use the latest version, you were able to download during your valid maintenance term.
Please keep the installation files as we only provide the latest, current version.
Is the iOS App included in the Windows or Mac version?
No, each product variation is a separate purchase.
There is software which is based on a common source code, that is compiled for different operating systems with a single click of a button. The benefit is obvious but comes at a price: A common code basis has to be the lowest common denominator of all support platforms. Our software Macro Recorder uses such system because in this particular case, there is little which is lost caused by this restriction.
PhraseExpress, instead, aims to excel at what's doable for each operating system. As each version is a complete separate development with native development tools designed for the respective operating system, we need to charge for each variation separately.
Another challenge is, that Apple insists to sell iOS Apps. There is simply no other sales channel for iOS App.
Can I trust your company?
Our business is well-established for more than 20 years with a registered address in the heart of the very oldest city in Germany, Trier. Our online shop is operated by the US based vendor Digital River.
Digital River is one of the biggest software online reseller in the world, trusted by leading companies, such as Adobe, Samsung, Microsoft, Logitech and many more.
What is included in the purchase?
Your purchase includes the right to use the software, as well as updates and upgrades, which we publish within the maintenance period you have chosen.
A special feature of our offer is that it also includes all new major versions with new functions.
What will happen after placing the order?
You will receive a confirmation email for your transaction immediately after you place your order online.
If you chose to pay by credit/debit card, your order will be processed immediately.
If you chose a different payment option, you will receive detailed information with your order confirmation explaining how to complete your payment. Orders are processed once payment has been received. You will receive a license key which is delivered to you by email immediately after receiving payment.
Is maintenance included in the license?
Yes, a license always includes maintenance for the selected maintenance term.
This ensures that you can always use the latest software. You cannot purchase a license without maintenance.
However, if maintenance is expired for your license, you can renew maintenance at discount.
When does the maintenance term start?
The maintenance term starts with the month of license key delivery.
License keys are dynamically generated at the time of purchase. The end of maintenance is branded into the license key and can be read that out from the first set of 4-digits, e.g. "0421" means April, 2021.
Can a license be transferred?
Yes, you can release a license association from a user, a computer or a USB stick at any time to use it on another device (or for another user).
Which currencies do you accept?
The base currency is US$.
If you are ordering from outside the USA, you may want to stick with the base currency. The exchange rate of your payment provider is most probably better than the rate of our eCommerce service. We have no influence over the rate eCommerce using for exchanges.
Can licenses be cotermed?
Yes, we would be happy to coterm the maintenance term of your existing licenses with a new purchase.
You would purchasing new licenses together with a maintenance renewal of your existing licenses. Remaining maintenance of existing licenses are credited.
You will then receive a complete set of new license keys that have the same maintenance term.
You can also upgrade to a higher product edition at the same time.
What to do:
Please send us the list of your existing license keys, as well as the number and desired product variation (Standard, Pro, Enterprise Edition, NamedUser/ConcurrentUser) and the desired new maintenance period of 1, 3 or 5 years.
- Purchase of at least 10 new PhraseExpress Pro/Enterprise Edition licenses.
- The edition of the new licenses must be at least the same as the edition of the existing licenses.
- Existing licenses of varying product editions will be streamlined to a common product edition.
- The maintenance period must exceed the maintenance period of the existing licenses.
- Orders can only be placed directly, not in the online shop.
Do you have a Linux version?
No, but we are watching the market closely - When we may release software for Linux in the future, we will offer it on our web site.
Where is the Android version?
Due to extensive changes in the Android operating system, we have discontinued the software in the Playstore. Our apologies for the inconvenience.
For any license related issue with your Google Playstore purchase, please contact Google Playstore support.
License reminders after purchase
Make sure to actually register your purchased license key in the software. The act of purchasing alone does not license the software. You need to register the license key you received in the delivery email in the software. See the product documentation how to register the license key.
The "About" window informs if maintenance of your license key is expired. If you get license notifications because you are using a software version that has been released after maintenance expiration, you would need to renew maintenance for your license.
Our software is available in different product variations (Standard, Pro, Enterprise) with different sets of features as advertised in the comparison table of the respective shop webpage.
A special feature of our software is that you can try features of all editions, even if you purchased and registered a smaller edition that does not include such feature of any higher edition. However, in such case you will get occasional license reminders which list the features that triggered the license reminder. Those are not included in your license.
This approach allows you to consider upgrading to higher product variation even after your initital purchase decision.
- If you already purchased the higher edition, make sure to actually deregister the license key of a smaller edition and register the license key of the higher edition.
- Consider to upgrade to a higher edition.
- Discontinue using features that are not included in your license.
Are maintenance renewals mandatory?
Maintenance renewals are optional. However, we strongly recommend to use the latest PhraseExpress version to ensure data compatibility.
Example scenario: Microsoft may need to publish a security-critical Windows update that you must install to comply with corporate data security. Such Windows update may also require an update of PhraseExpress in order for PhraseExpress to work with the newer Windows version.
Of course, we strive for file compatibility between PhraseExpress versions. However, if you skip multiple major PhraseExpress versions, you may not be able to continue using your phrase library, as we cannot guarantee file compatibility across multiple PhraseExpress versions, as phrase storage scheme may increasinlgy change from version to version. That is, why we recommend using at least the current PhraseExpress major version.