Forced "expiry" / update has bricked the software. Topic is solved

jcahill

Forced "expiry" / update has bricked the software.

Post by jcahill » 02 Feb 22, 04:18

I received the beta expiration notice today.
I updated to the current beta release, v16.0.117i.

v16.0.117i cannot open any preexisting .pexdb OR .pxp file. cf [1] [2]
v16.0.117i also cannot save any new phrase file.

The net result:

This morning, I had functional phrase files and software.
Tonight, I have nonfunctional phrase files and neither an upgrade nor a downgrade path.
Backups have been rendered completely irrelevant because they don't work.

Warning users that the phrase file format is subject to change: sure, we agree to this in the terms.

That consent does not imply that functional, paid instances should be deliberately bricked.

[1]: viewtopic.php?f=240&t=19237
[2]: viewtopic.php?f=240&t=19154

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 02 Feb 22, 11:07

Please see the important information and solution at https://www.phraseexpress.com/beta/
Beta software and Release Candidates are suitable for experienced users only and provided “as is”. They are not ready for use in production environment - Use at own risk!

The beta version requires a license. The phrase file format changes during the beta test without backwards compatibility. Make sure to keep a backup of your original phrase file.

Specifications and features may be subject of change until final release.
and
Latest update is PhraseExpress v16.0.117. In PhraseExpress v16.0.110, the phrase file format had to be changed, causing newer versions to show a password protection dialog because the *.pexdb file format is not recognized anymore. In such case, please exit PhraseExpress, delete any *.pexdb file, install the update below and reimport your phrases from the PhraseExpress v15 *.pxp phrase file. We hate this inconvenience, too, and try to avoid it whenever possible, but in this rare case, a file structure update was required. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

We wish that every beta version would be free from errors. However, the nature of a beta test is to find and fix errors. Unfortunately, we needed to change the phrase file format, making the new version incompatibility with earlier beta versions. Such incompatibility risks are the reason why we expressly warn users not to use beta versions in production environment. It is important to understand that you have paid for the production version 15. The beta version is voluntary and reserverd for experienced users in isolated environments.

Our apologies for the trouble you may have experienced.

jcahill

Post by jcahill » 02 Feb 22, 17:21

That is not a solution. Read the post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » 02 Feb 22, 19:05